Thursday, January 13, 2011

Toasty toes and timing tools

 
I can't get anyone to go barefoot running with me in the middle of winter! Go figure. None of my Facebook friends (many of whom are Pagoda Pacers!) have taken me up on the offer. My 18-year-old daughter won't run outdoors in the cold, shod or not. My 23-year-old son laughed at me (it's okay kiddo - I enjoy bringing laughter to my loved ones). My husband calls it de-evolution and is hoping it is a phase that will soon pass (it isn't and it won't). I guess I will have to blaze this trail alone for now. Unless anyone wants to run with me on Friday...

Wednesday night I went for a 57 minute, 5.6 mile run with the Pagoda Pacers on the inadequately plowed roads of Shillington, West Reading and Wyomissing in the dark of night. I haven't run with the Pacers since late spring of last year, so even if it was light out I probably wouldn't have known anyone. It was three or so miles into the run before the one and only person introduced herself to me (thank you Liz - it was great running with you!). There were about 15 or 20 runners that were nuts enough to plow through the snow in the dark.

No trails on this run due to the several inches of snow that arrived the night before, but I was prepared if we would have gone off-road. Although I failed in my attempt to procure neoprene booties from the scuba shop on my last run, it is just as well. To prepare for this run I decided to try out a less expensive alternative... neoprene fin socks (see pic above). This time, when I went to the scuba shop to get the fin socks I waited until the scuba shop was actually open. It was the same salesperson that helped me with the booties on Monday night, so I didn't have to explain myself all over again...although I would have welcomed the opportunity just so that I can spread the joys of barefooting!

Neoprene keeps the snow and cold out but it also keep the sweat in. Fortunately, I anticipated this effect because it was shared by the barefoot runner who posted the idea of using fin socks for running in snow. He also shared his solution - socks within socks within shoes. The concept is that the shoes provide the grip, the fin socks provide the warmth, and the socks absorb the sweat. I purposely stood in several inches of snow to test their snow-proof abilites and sure enough I didn't feel the cold at all. I would recommend waiting to put the fin socks on until immediately before the actual run though due to the sweat factor. I walked around in my triple layers for about 45 minutes before the run and then ran for almost an hour and the sweat made the bottoms of my feet a little raw.

The neoprene fin socks warmed my feet, but my brand new Garmin Forerunner 405 GPS-enabled sports watch with heart rate monitor warmed my heart. It was an early anniversary present from my better half. We got an AWESOME deal on http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/ . The amount of data that I can get about my runs appeals to my overly-analytical, geeky personality. Good riddance inaccurate Nike+ sensor (I suppose I should mention that I was using it in a manner that was not intended.)! Fumbling with it on my run in the dark last night wasn't the easiest way to experience it for the first time, but I must of done something right because the data includes the time and distance that I ran, my best overall pace, my avg. pace for each mile, a map of the course I ran, the elevation changes along my course...the list goes on. LOVE it!

Today, Thursday, was a day of recovery. Tomorrow, the plan is to run one mile barefoot and two or so maintenance miles. Well, maybe a speed burst or two. I am hoping to finally get over to Grings Mill on Sunday for a long, slow, distance run.

A last note...not a good idea to try to set up a collapsable running/bike child stroller/trailer in the dark minutes before start time when you are running with a group if you have only used the trailer once before and it took two people and 20 minutes to set it up in the light of day. I am too embarassed to elaborate.

Happy Running! ....I dare you to join me on a barefoot run!

No comments:

Post a Comment